We just celebrated his 176th birthday.
This video serves as a beautiful introduction to his mind.
Enjoy these quotes. They are as valid as they were almost 200 years ago:
- A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain.
- Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Do something every day that you don’t want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain.
- Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
- I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
- If you tell the truth you don’t have to remember anything.
- In religion and politics, people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination.
- It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress.
- When people do not respect us we are sharply offended; yet deep down in his private heart no man much respects himself.
- Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain was a visionary. He remains part of the soul of the USA